Social media centers around conversations: among customers, between customers and potential customers, between businesses and customers, and those led by businesses with the goal of converting people to customers.
The content of these conversations can vary, but their true value is that they provide you an insider’s look at how your company, industry, and products are perceived. This allows you to do several things:
- Learn directly from your customers what they’d like to see from you in terms of products or service
- Foster loyalty by directly addressing a customer’s problem, issue, or concern faster than a customer service department
- Introduce yourself and your company to active audiences who would have been unaware of it otherwise
- Keep up-to-the-minute on shifts in people’s attitudes and remain able to respond accordingly in your other messaging
- Drive traffic to your site by providing people with links to products and updates that may interested them
Traffic increases, lead generation, problem-solving, and gaining insight—social media allows you to do all of these things and more simply through active, two-way conversations. As long as you know how to listen and nurture these conversations, the things you learn from them can positively impact ROI company-wide.